Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My British Bulldog is in season and it looks like she is struggling

Customer Question

My British Bulldog is in season and it looks like she is struggling to do the toilet,she has now started whimpering is she in pain and needs some liquid paraffin or is it something else?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Annabell.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Is she straining to urinate, or to defecate? It can look similar. If she has a bladder infection, she would strain but pass little or no urine, and could whimper. If she is constipated, she would also strain and pass no stool. If she is constipated, she would probably not be eating.

If she is still eating, I would be more suspicious of a bladder problem. She may just need antibiotics in that case.

If she does have stool in her colon that will not pass, the liquid paraffin probably will not help. Often these dogs need a gentle enema to get the stool to pass. I would not give one, until I did a rectal exam on her to be sure she needs it.

I think the best thing is to have her checked by her veterinarian. If she needs antibiotics, or an enema, you can only get them from your vet. Over the counter enemas for people, even the ones for babies, may not be safe for a dog.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with. It will help to know if she is eating, and if she is passing a good stream of urine.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Claire,
How is Annabell today?

Rebecca