Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have just homed a retired 4 1/2 year old greyhound. She

Customer Question

We have just homed a retired 4 1/2 year old greyhound. She is great in the house but when we take her walking she 'plants' herself i.e stops and refuses to move either when she hears or sees another dog or mainly for no apparent reason on the road or in fields, it doesn't matter where. We stop, wait for several minutes for her to decide to move but still with no movement from her. Finally we have to virtually drag her along by her harness. We obviously don't want to hurt her and don't look in her eyes as we don't want to be confrontational, as she has a lovely nature and is otherwise brilliant. How do we train her out of this as it is making walking her extremely difficult.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so impressed that you have adopted Blue....these retired greyhounds opften have many fears due to their upbringing and here are some tips to gte Blue past this. Thye are not comfortable on the outside in a normal environmenmt and, with your love and care for Blue, you can get her past this.

This is a common trait in these dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get Blue over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until Blue realizes that these fears will not hurt her. To do this, first avoid these while making her comfortable in this situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, she is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety. If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help her past this. Take Blue to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose her to the things she fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when she does something positive. Here is a site with more tips:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx.....You will have to click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Ian, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Blue's condition....it will take some work but worth it in the end..

Have a wonderful day!