Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My miniature schnauzer is aged 10 and very fit. However she

Customer Question

My miniature schnauzer is aged 10 and very fit. However she now has a wart on her bck nd another on her leg. They do not bother her, but the one on her back is quite unsightly. Is it possile to freeze them ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca : Hello,
Rebecca : Thank you for your question. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Rebecca : True warts are caused by a virus, and do eventually go away on their own.
Rebecca : However, we often call little growths "warts" but they are actually growths, and do not go away.
Rebecca : The most common growth that looks like a wart, especially in older dogs, is an adenoma. They are benign, but ugly and sometimes will bleed.
Rebecca : Here are some pictures of them:
Rebecca : Cut and paste this into a browser: pictures of dogs sebaceous adenomas
Rebecca : You can freeze warts, but you need supercold freezing agents, like liquid nitrogen. This is not something you can do at home; ice is not cold enough.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I was not hearing from you in live chat, so I will try this way to connect.

If this is an adenoma, we usually surgically remove them, or use electrocautery ( under sedation) to burn them off.

If they really are warts, they should go away on their own. The homeopathic product "Thuja" can help warts to resolve faster, but will not help with adenomas.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca