Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My mums german pointer has recently been diagnosed with cancer

Customer Question

My mums german pointer has recently been diagnosed with cancer effecting her liver and been given a poor prognosis. She has not seemed to be suffering or in pain and the main symptoms have been weight loss, anorexia and lethargy. Over the last 24 hours she has developed persistent vomiting; I was wondering if motilium [domperidone] might be helpful? I know this is one of the least hepatotoxic antiemetics for humans and my mum has some but I have been unable to find anything online to indicate its safety for dogs.
Just looking for some thing to settle and make her feel comfortable......thanks Spencer
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Molly hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

First, let me tell you how sorry I am that Molly has been diagosed with cancer. I know how distressing this must be for your entire family.

To answer your question, domperidone can be given to dogs as an anti-vomiting agent although it's not used in small animals very often. It is primarily metabolized and excreted through urine and feces.

As to Cautions with it's use, the following is taken from Plumbs Veterinary Drug Handbook:

Domperidone should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity to it or when GI obstructions are present or suspected.

Because domperidone is potentially a neurotoxic substrate of P-glycoprotein, it should be used with caution in those herding breeds (e.g., Collies) that may have the gene mutation (MDR1) that causes a nonfunctional protein.

Drug interactions:

1. Opioids may reduce the efficacy of domperidone

2. It may alter the absorptive characteristics of sustained -release or eneteric coated oral medicaions by decreasing GI transit times

The dose would be 2–5 mg (total dose) two to three times a day. While it would be illegal for me to advise you to use a drug which has been dispensed for a human, I can provide the dosage information for a canine patient which I have done.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply...very clear. I appreciate it. I shall go visit and see how she's doing

Spencer

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Spencer:
You're more than welcome.

I hope you'll find that Molly is feeling more comfortable.

While I doubt if it will be strong enough, your mom could also safely give her over the counter Famotidine although it may be difficult to find in the UK. The dose would be 1/4th mg/lb twice a day. Another option would be Omeprazole at a dose of 0.5 mg/lb once a day.

Of course, your vet will have stronger anti-emetics such as Cerenia . This drug comes in an injectable form which lasts 24 hours, but is also available in a pill form. If effective, it can be given for 5 days in a row, and then skip two days before restarting.
This drug has primarily been used to control vomiting but it was found to have appetite stimulant properties and is sometimes used for this purpose.

Good luck. Deb