Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My dog is acting strange. He is looking into space, looking

My dog is acting strange. He is looking into space, looking round at nothing ( as if he has seen a fly ). He has not eaten today but has had water. He is 4 years old. Rotweiller.
Really worried about this behaviour. He has been scratching his neck and made it sore.
Treating it with hibiscrub. Please can you help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. Can you answer these questions to help me get a better history about Diesel?

1) Is he able to walk normally at this time?
2) How long has the looking round / like at a fly been going on?
3) Any vomiting?
4) Is he responding / reacting to you at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Walking normally. Looking round since last night, no vomiting. He responds to me.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that information. How long has he been scratching at that sore area Paul? Does he have any debris or odor inside of the ears?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not that I am aware of. He has been scratching for a couple of days now.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Has he been letting you clean the area with the Hibiscrub ok? Is the area looking better since you started doing that? Is he scratching it less?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No real improvement. It is still weeping. He does not readily let me near the wound. Scratching is no more or no less than last night.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for answering all those questions Paul. I'm going to say that my suspicion is that he's pretty uncomfortable with that area of dermatitis. Based on your description of it, it could be a moist dermatitis (also called a hot spot). They can be very uncomfortable and stresssing on the body. It can make them not want to eat well. The most important thing for getting these to heal is getting the skin in a better environment. What I do to treat them is to shave the hair off the area so it can be cleaned and dried well. Not letting serum or other debris build up on the skin and fur is important. After getting the area shaved, it can dry out and heal much quicker. A lot of times, oral antibiotics are very beneficial to treat the infection from a systemic route while the topical therapy is being done too. His acting like he's seeing a fly is hopefully him reacting to the discomfort from this lesion. If it isn't, some can have focal seizures called fly biting seizures. What I'd recommend is videoing what you're seeing so your vet can see it when you bring him into the for them to clip the area and to start him on oral antibiotics. Please hit reply to let me know what questiosn this brings up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that. I will get him to the vet in the morning as it is evening time and I am about to have dinner. Thank you for your help.

Paul

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I'm hoping for the best for Diesel. If anyother quesitons come up, please let me know Paul.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience