Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

Hello I am looking for some answers for my newfoundland dog

Customer Question

I am looking for some answers for my newfoundland dog he is 8 years and 7months old he has been diagnosed with myasthenia gravis his only been on his treatment for 3 days and the vet is trying to figure out a dosage for him to be well again he is still in the vets care at the moment and has been since Wednesday of last week although there is some improvement in his walking but he don't have any strength to walk for more than 5 mins please can you let me know is there anything else that maybe I can do to help him get better and is there something else I could also give him like vitamins supplements to help him in this recovery I would be so grateful if you could give me some helpful information on this disease and what I can do to help him get better
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. So sorry to hear that Lenny has MG, but understand completely your concern and desire to do everything possible for him.

Dr. Barbara :

Your vet is probably gradually increasing the pyridostimine (the main treatment for MG), to determine Lenny's correct dose and to avoid overdosing him.

Dr. Barbara :

MG is an autoimmune disease that affects the acetylcholine myoneural receptors causing the weakness that Lenny had. Because it is an autoimmune disease it is possible to also treat this with immunosuppressant drugs like prednisone. However, MG can lead to aspiration pneumonia, so prednisone could be dangerous to give.

Dr. Barbara :

It is important that Lenny be receiving a well balanced diet, as always, and if he has megaesophagus with his MG, then feeding him in an upright position, small meals several times daily is the treatment for that.

Dr. Barbara :

If he is on a high quality dog food, then additional vitamins aren't necessary. Omega 3 fatty acids are good anti oxidants and therefore anti inflammatory, these may be of some help to Lenny. These are also used commonly for kidney disease and arthritis in dogs, and your vet will have some on his shelf.

Dr. Barbara :

I think a very informative web site for pet owners is www.veterinarypartner.com. Go there, click on "dogs" on the left, and then put myasthenia gravis in the search bar.

Dr. Barbara :

Sure hope this information has been helpful. Sounds to me like your vet is treating Lenny very appropriately, and adjusting his meds according to his needs. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Dr. Barbara :

Or. . .I should say if you have any further questions that I haven't addressed!. . .

Customer: Thankyou for this information great help
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
Hi Kim,
Thank you so much for the rating. . .greatly appreciated!
I'll bet that Lenny will soon be "up and running"!
I've put you and Lenny in for a follow up in a few days and there is no further charge for this, so hope to hear from you then.
Take care,
Dr. Barbara
Hi Kim,
How is Lenny doing by now? Would love to hear!
Dr. Barbara