Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My rescue dog - female 18 months approx, Labrador cross - agressive

Customer Question

My rescue dog - female 18 months approx, Labrador cross - agressive to other dogs on the lead.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Lilly's condition.

This is common in reescue dogs because you donot know how Lily was treated before you got her. Here are tips to help her past this:

. Purchase a DAP Collar (Dog Appeasement Pheromone) at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety. Rescue Remedy is also helpful.

2. Carry a coke can with pennies in it and when you see this aggression starting, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!

3. have your vet examine Lily checking for a medical cause such as hormonal issues or metabolic problems that could cause this. If this is ruled out, ask your vet for an anti anxiety medication such as Clomicalm or Reconcile that will decrease the anxiety that is causing this.

5. Consider contacting a veterinary behaviorist that can help Lily past this. This LINK will find one near you.

6. Take Bella back to a good obedience class so you will have better control over her.

This LINK will have more tips.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2194673_introduce-puppy-older-resident-dog.html

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Sorry, Vicky....under #6, I mean Lilly...I was confused.

I hope this will help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, there are unfortunately no pet behaviourists in Gibraltar where we live.
The coke can thing worries me, as she is a very subservient dog with me and also after the initial "growl off" with other dogs. When she came to the shelter she had lots of wounds and scars.
Off the lead, once she has had an initial meeting she seems to be fine - we tried this with a friends Labrador who us very good natured. She is very subservient with people too, she cowers if I raise my voice so I think my voice alone would be enough. Can I expect to "cure" her or will this always be an issue do you think?
Vicky
Hi Vicky,....this will never be "cured" but can be managed...it is is ingrained in Lily by this time that you will have to deal with a mild form of this....like I said, though, it can be managed and Lily will be a great friend for you.

Juts do what works for her and eventually, her anxieties will decrease because she will become more comfortable in her environment and understand that you only want to love and care for her and she is now safe and secure.