Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

1:- is it possible to overdose a puppy on wormer? 2:- can

1:- is it possible to overdose a puppy on wormer?

2:- can I bath as bitch with 3 week old puppies or will this upset the puppies by changing her scent?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the dewormer, panacur?
2- How much do the puppies weigh?
3- How much panacur did you give?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wormer called Panacur small animal 10% oral suspension

weight range from 700g to 1kg

they had 0.2/0.3ml

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Are the puppies acting any different?

I am going to take 5-10 minutes calculating the dose. Then I will have an answer for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
In response to your question, yes; any dewormer can have the potential to be toxic if overdose. In the case of panacur it is a very safe medication, you would need about 100 times the normal dose to be concern about toxicity. See below for the toxic dose potential in your puppies:

10% solution means there is 100mg/ml. If you gave 0.2ml = 20mg; 0.3 = 30mg.
The dose for panacur is 50mg/kg once a day for 3-5 days. So, if the puppy weighs 0.7kg (700g) the dose is: 35mg; for puppy that is 1kg the dose is 50mg. So, based on the above calculation you have not given an overdose, you are within therapeutic range. However, it is important to remember that panacur is labeled for dogs older than 6 weeks. So, I would wait until they are 6 weeks old to get them dewormed.

As far as bathing the bitch, yes, you can bath her. I would use dish washing liquid soap like Palmolive which does not have a stronger odor, it is gentle and safe for the puppies.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter