Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I think my jack russel has a bit of bone stuck in its throat

I think my jack russel has a bit of bone stuck in its throat I cant see anything but its trying to cough it up is it best to make it sick? Nigel
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Hello Nigel, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Lola is having this problem. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first, if you don't mind:

1. Is she still eating with no problems?
2. Is she pawing at her mouth/throat or rubbing her face on the floor?
3. How long has she been acting this way?
4. Did you witness her ingest a piece of bone?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She keeps licking the floor this gas only just happened

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Nigel:
Thanks for the additional information.

Although it's certainly possible for objects such as bones or sticks to become stuck in the mouth, it's much, much less common for them to become lodged in the throat or esophagus. More often what happens is that these objects do some damage when they're swallowed which elicits the cough that's heard.

If something were lodged in her mouth, then inducing vomiting is not going to be very effective since the problem is not in her stomach, if that makes sense. She may need to be sedated to dislodge and remove the object.

If you think you could get a good look in her mouth without being injured, I would try to take a peak in there to see if you can see anything unusual. You can try to remove it yourself but this is not at all the easiest thing to do without sedation, in most cases.

If you think that she may have simply swallowed something which did damage to her throat or esophagus when it was swallowed, you could feed her very soft food for several days. In most cases, theses injuries will heal quite quickly in just a day or so.
You can also give her Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice a day with the soft food which may help with inflammation.

There are other possible explanations, though, for coughing in such a young dog. Kennel cough is going to be the most common cause which is either secondary to a viral or bacterial infection. If the former, then it has to run it's course (usually 10-14 days) but if the latter, it usually responds to antibiotics fairly quickly.

As to why she might be licking the floor, this doesn't really quite fit with kennnel cough although if her throat is sore, this might explain it.

I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

NIgel:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I hope you'll keep me posted about Lola; I'd like to know how she does.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Good luck with her. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information.