Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My two year old Vizsla has had incontinence since she was 12

My two year old Vizsla has had incontinence since she was 12 weeks old, she has incurin for this.
Recently she's been having treatment for repeated uti's even though the urine screen comes back clear..
She has struvite crystals present in urine occasionally but not every time.. In the last two weeks she's begun changing in temperament has either difficulty inc straining to pee or can't control herself.. Inc blood in urine.
I'm worried something has been missed or overlooked and something serious has been missed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Libby, I'm Dr. Deb.
Thanks for requesting me; I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Katy. I do have a few questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Has an x-ray been done of her bladder?
2. Has an ultrasound been suggested?
3. Has her urine been cultured?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. No
2. No
3. Yes last sample I believe cultured last week and came back normal
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Libby:
Thanks for the answers to my questions.

When chronic uti's are diagnosed or suspected (based on symptoms) in a dog this age and then starts to behave as you describe, then I'd want to rule out bladder stones if a culture and sensitivity is negative.

If this were my case, I'd suggest an x-ray at the least although an ultrasound will be the better diagnostic tool to competely evaluate the bladder.
An x-ray might indicate whether or not bladder stones are present but an ultrasound can do that and more....it can evaluate the bladder wall for thickening or evidence of abnormalities.

If there's not evidence of stones and a culture is negative and yet I still have a dog with evidence of a uti, then I frequently place them on antibiotic therapy for at least 6-8 weeks at a time. I'll also suggest cranberry supplements to help acidify the urine which can help in some cases...Uromaxx or Cranidinid are good choices.

There's also evidence that chronic uti's in some dogs are secondary to something called "bacterial biofilm" . This is a protective matrix around bacteria which prevents sufficient penetration by antibiotics and needs to be addressed as well.
Clarithromycin is very effective in reducing bacterial biofilm and may be something to discuss with your vet.

I hope this helps and gives you several options to consider Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have been doing the antibiotics since before Christmas with only a 5 day break she has since then now been on the antibiotics for ten days.. She is defiantly worse. Since Friday I've been dealing with a painful anxious dog who either can't pee or pees uncontrollably which gets her very upset.. I have vet appointment tomorrow.. What do I needy ask for tests wise? Bloods? I'd just like to go prepared as now her whole personality is changing.. Do you think I should as for them to look for bladder cancer too?

Many many thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Libby:

You're more than welcome.

She needs to be evaluated for bladder stones, in my opinion. In fact, I have to admit that I'm quite surprised that this possibility hasn't been mentioned before now.
An x-ray may detect them but not in every case. If your vet has an ultrasound, this is what I'd suggest but if they don't, then request an x-ray at the vet visit tomorrow.

Blood work may be useful in evaluating her kidneys but her behavior doesn't sound like a problem with this orgran; it sounds more like a bladder issue especially since you're seeing blood and she's so uncomfortable.

Bladder cancer would be extremely unlikely in a dog this age which is why I didn't mention it. Can it happen? I can't unequivocally say no but it's not nearly as likely as bladder stones.

She may also benefit from pain medication such as Tramadol although it's obviously much better to determine the underlying problem if possible.
Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much, I can go a little more prepared tomorrow.. One more question she's currently having myloxidyl for pain so I request something different?

Libby
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Libby:
You're very welcome.

Myloxidy has some anti-pain properties but it's not nearly as potent as Tramadol would be. They can safely be given together, too.

I hope you'll keep me posted about her. Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Good luck. Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will of course let you know how we get on at the vets tomorrow..

Many thanks speak soon

Libby
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Libby:
I'll look forward to it. Deb