Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Doberman dog is very bloated and been sick 3 times

My Doberman bitch dog is very bloated and been sick 3 times bringing up water that she has drunk and also lots of grass , she seems kind of ok in herself but wants to keep drinking water.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?
3- Is she behaving restless or uncomfortable?
4- The swelling come on quickly within a day or slow during a few days or weeks?
5- How much does she weigh?
6- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As far as I know just today,
Yes she is drinking much more,
She is in discomfort due to being bloated I think.
I think the swelling is just from today
She weighs around 60 lb to 65 lb
Her gums are pink

I think she seems to be blocked nearer her back end as the bloating is from there and upwards towards her front legs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Carl, I am a bit concern about the bloating you are describing. This can be related to what we commonly call a "bloat or GDV (gastric dilatation volvulus)," this is when the stomach gets filled with air and eventually will twist upon itself. This is a surgical emergency, untreated it will most likely have a fatal outcome. Other possible causes could be an abdominal tumor, ascites (fluid), obstruction, etc. The immediate concern is a bloat, highly recommend having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian, do not wait. If you can not get her to ER vet tonight take away the food and water and start her on Simethicone (Gas X) 100mg every 6 hours, you can buy simethicone over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Follow up first thing in the morning with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter