Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has a weeping wound on his back. Can I use Aloe Vera

My dog has a weeping wound on his back. Can I use Aloe Vera on it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he licking the wound?
2- How did the wound occur?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Peter,

Thanks for your response. I am sure he would lick the wound but he can't as it is on his back.

The wound was initially a fatty lump which was investigated by the vet a few months ago. It has been getting bigger and bigger and scabbed over. I must admit that I picked it a few weeks ago and cleaned it, in the hope that it would heal itself. Yesterday I noticed it was bleeding. I cleaned it.

I can send you a photo if this will help.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- What are you using to clean?

Sure, if you can post a picture on this thread that would be great, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I used Bob Marten dog wipes with aloe vera.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Neo, in response to your question it is ok to use aloe vera on the wound. It is important to remember that if there is an underlying cyst or fatty tumor it may need to be removed for the wound to heal completely. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Pick up in your local pharmacy (chemist) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.
2- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin/bacitracin or the aloe vera. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
3- If no significant improvement after doing the above follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Did you see the photo as I am not sure it attached properly.

Neo

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
No Neo, I am sorry it did not post. You can also submit it through customer service and they will get it to me. I would however start by treating as described above.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter