Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Dog a Maltese this morning was fine -took the dog to my

My Dog a Maltese this morning was fine -took the dog to my Vet this afternoon because he appeared out of sorts. Was given antibiotics and painkiller medication -nothing obvious was ascertained, However this evening the inside of the lip is badly swollen will the antibiotic cure the problem
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Clyde has a swollen lip.

If his lip is swollen secondary to an infection then the antibiotics should help.
However if his lip swelling came after he started his antibiotics the lip swelling may be secondary to an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. Although we usually see hives or facial swelling in general rather then in a localized area with an allergic reaction to antibiotics.
It is possible that all of this started with an insect or spider bite or sting and only now are you noticing the swelling.

In case this is related to an allergic reaction you can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or 1/2 of a 25mg tablet per 8 to 14 pound dog every 8 to 12 hours for at least 72 hours. If this is an allergic reaction the swelling should be resolved in 12 to 24 hours.

If this is related to an infection it should take longer for the swelling to resolve, but the Benadryl won't hurt him and may make him feel a little better.

If he has generalized facial swelling, difficulty breathing or pale gums, vomiting or diarrhea that indicates a worsening allergic reaction that needs emergency veterinary care.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.