Dr. Welton
Dr. Welton, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed small animal veterinarian since 2002, practice owner since 2004.
1859647

Hello, Re annual boosters, I have just been told that the

Re annual boosters, I have just been told that the manufacturers are now saying that boosters now need only be given once every three years rather then annually.

My dog is 11, has some other health issues & rarely socialises with other dogs so I am inclined not to have her boosters this year.

Is there any other issue I might have overlooked in decision not to have them done this year?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Welton replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Welton :

Hello.

Dr. Welton :

Please give me a moment to type my response.

Dr. Welton :

There has been a big push for limiting vaccines in dogs by adopting recommendations of the the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) based on research conducted in the early 2000s; as well as taking into account lifestyle and geographic risk of disease to the patient. What we found is that there are 4 diseases that are endemic to most areas of North America: rabies, disetmper, parvo, parainfluenza, infectious hepatitis, leptospirosis, and bordatella bronchiseptica. We also determined that viral vaccines have significantly greater longevity than bacterial ones.

Dr. Welton :

Thus, in my practice, we give the DHPP (distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvo) vaccine once every 3 years, and the 3 year rabies once every 3 years. Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that is transmitted through the urine of squirrels, that causes liver and kidney failure. We give this one yearly. For dogs that have regular contact with other dogs (kenneling, dog park, play dates, grooming, etc.), we recommend yearly administration of bordatells intra-nasal vaccine.

Dr. Welton :

In a nut-shell, bi-annual vaccinations for viral core vaccines is an old school concept and no longer recommended if one is following AVMA based vaccine protocols.

Dr. Welton :

I would, however, will advise yearly heartworm screening, examination, and stools analysis.

Dr. Welton :

Any other questions? :-)

Customer:

I'm in the UK and am not sure what vaccines she has been having up til now. Your answer has made me realise Ineed to find out and not just blindly do what my vet wants! Thanks yo

Customer:

I am about to post another question about Lafora's disease. Is this something you know about? Thanks

Dr. Welton :

As far as I know, distemper, parvo, hepatitis, and parainfluenza are endemic in the UK as well, making DHPP a likely good choice to keep up to date tri-yearly. My understanding is that you are a rabies free island, but I do not know the legalities involved in the necessity for vaccination. Here in the US, it is state law in all jurisdictions.

Dr. Welton :

Not familiar with that one, so I will have to pass. We may simply call it something differently here, but best to have an expert that recognizes the name. Best of luck to you. :-)

Customer:

I think it is having DHPP yearly up until now, but will check. I feel more confident to disagree with my vet now!

Customer:

Not to. worry about Lafora's - I know it is rare. Thank you very much for your help this evening

Dr. Welton, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed small animal veterinarian since 2002, practice owner since 2004.