Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hello 3wks ago we took our chiuhua to vets he checked her over

Hello 3wks ago we took our chiuhua to vets he checked her over and realy could not say there was any thing wrong with her except a bit of tempreture and maybe some imflamation he gave us a wks course of antibiotics and flamatory tabs .then said if things dont improve i will have to do an xray to see whats going on her symptons why we took her were when she woke up or came to us her body sort of bent sideways and herback arched she could not go up the stairs she was very relucktant to go outside because of thee door step when i say walkies she goes in her cage she is not playful i take her for walks every day but not now the last time i took her her back legs were not following her front. Legs she was walking crab like she just lays in her bed all day she looks so miserable when people come to our house she her old self tell she calms down i have now put her on joint wer an tear tabs now she is 4yr old was the runt of the litter
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

From your description, I would be most suspicious of a possible spinal problem, in the neck or back,

Dr. Drew :

usually caused by a bulging disc between the vertebrae.

Dr. Drew :

I'm not sure if the anti-inflammatory medication that was prescribed was a steroid or a non-steroidal type of drug, but I find the steroid type to be more effective for managing this sort of suspected disc problem.

Dr. Drew :

In addition, muscle relaxants such as DIazepam or Methocarbamol are useful in managing situations like this, as they will alleviate the spasms associated with pinched nerves.

Dr. Drew :

Strict rest is typically necessary for 10-14 days as well.

Dr. Drew :

If there is no improvement, x-rays can be useful but more often an MRI is what's needed to positively identify the problem in these situations.