Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
24698571

is it against the law for a vetinary practice to refuse to

Customer Question

is it against the law for a vetinary practice to refuse to provide a further repeat prescription for an on record life time condition requiring life time medication if the animal has not had a routine health examination for over 12 months
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hello, my name is Dr. H and I'd be happy to assist you.

Doctor H :

Do you live in the United States?

JACUSTOMER-ewjbg98h- :

no uk

Doctor H :

Okay I just wanted to double check.

Doctor H :

What is the prescription in question?

JACUSTOMER-ewjbg98h- :

the issue is she has diabetes insipidus for 4+ years and requires continuous medication of desmopressin. I need a repeat prescription but the practice says it wont give me one because they havnt seen her in over a year.

Doctor H :

Okay, here's what I'll say, and I'll be happy to opt out and defer to a veterinarian that actually practices in the UK if you prefer.

JACUSTOMER-ewjbg98h- :

She is a 15 year old GSD and is old and frail and back legs collapse after about 10 yards.To drag her to the vets might be too much for her so I want to avoid it but I need the prescription

Doctor H :

But in the US we require an examination to validate the client patient veterinary relationship every 12 months.

Doctor H :

Are there any veterinarians in your area that do housecalls?

Doctor H :

It seems that would be the best solution for you.

Doctor H :

Especially in the UK, I would imagine that several vets would be mixed practitioners.

JACUSTOMER-ewjbg98h- :

can try that but I suppose it would be more costly

Doctor H :

That's true. If you are concerned about her back legs you can wrap a beach towel lengthwise and use it as a sling to support her hind end.

Doctor H :

You can also recruit someone to help carry her into your vehicle. The veterinarian's assistants can carry her from the car to the clinic if need be.

JACUSTOMER-ewjbg98h- :

just seems to me that provision of an ongoing medication shouldn't be dependent on routine health check since the condition is always going to be there and the medication is always going to be required and the vets have that on record

Doctor H :

Not necessarily. Body weights (and dosages) change. So do other concerns that may warrant a different medication.

Doctor H :

At least here in the US I need to see my own GP every twelve months to ensure my prescriptions.

Doctor H :

The best tools for a veterinarian (or any medical practitioner) is the ability to conduct a thorough history and a physical examination.

JACUSTOMER-ewjbg98h- :

guess its off to the vets then

Doctor H :

Well you can always call them and voice your concerns. Maybe the vet makes house calls after all. If nothing else they can arrange to make the visit for Kira as painless as possible.