Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My dog as had a small bould spot on her tail for a few days

My dog as had a small bould spot on her tail for a few days yesterday she had one on her head and i have noticed she as more coming on her head any idea what they could be she seems ok she's eating and drinking and still lively thank you foe any help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. The three main possibilities as causes for Lottie's bald spots are ringworm, demodectic mange and sarcoptic mange. The treatment for each of these is different, so a diagnosis will be necessary.

Dr. Barbara :

Does Lottie have any skin abnormalities associated with these bald spots? Is she itchy?

Customer:

No she's not itching

Dr. Barbara :

Is the skin reddened or scabbed at these sites?

Customer:

No the first one on her head as a tiny red spot

Dr. Barbara :

If Lottie isn't itchy then this is not likely to be sarcoptic mange. Also, any bacterial dermatitis is unlikely since there is no scabbing. Also, allergies would be itchy, so probably not that. We're left with ringworm or demodectic mange.

Dr. Barbara :

Ringworm is contagious to you, so the best would be to have this diagnosed by your vet.

Dr. Barbara :

Also, since she has several affected areas she may need a lime-sulfur dip or systemic treatment.

Dr. Barbara :

Does anyone in your family have any skin lesions. . .red rash or scabs?

Customer:

Ok thank you will take her tomorrow

Dr. Barbara :

That's the best definitely. Once a diagnosis is established then treatment will be specific and more successful. In the meantime, try to avoid touching the areas and wash your hands thoroughly after touching her.

Customer:

No i have asked husband and son they ok

Dr. Barbara :

Oh good. Her problem is probably not zoonotic then.

Dr. Barbara :

I'll be eager to hear about her diagnosis and treatment. Even after you rate this conversation, we can continue to chat for 7 more days on this thread.

Customer:

Ok thank you for your help

Dr. Barbara :

You're welcome. Best of luck!

Hi Jane,
Just checking in to see how Lottie is doing. What did her bald spots turn out to be?
Hope to hear from you soon,
Dr. Barbara