Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My pup might have eaten a small amount of semi dry silicon

Customer Question

My pup might have eaten a small amount of semi dry silicon sealant that contains 30% distillates and <1% 2-butoxanone oxime. She seems to be ok but should I take her to the vets.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

How long ago could she have ingested this?

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are not 100% sure, but we think it might be between 5 and 12 hours ago. She nibbled some plastic that had the silicon on whilst in bed.
Thank you for this information....

Some of these sealants contain Ethylene Glycol which is the ingredient in Antifreeze that is extremely toxic to dogs and will cause kidney damage. because your girl is so young, I would strongly recommend that you take her to teh ER vet. The effects of this may not show up for days and if your vet can counteract this now with IV fluids and activated charcoal, this could save her life. It sounds like she did not get much of this and she may be ok but, in this case, I would rather be safe....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi again. I have looked at the COSHH data for the product and this is not listed as being contained, only the two ingredients I advised of earlier.
That is great news....then the chances of this causing her any serious danger is slim. If this would have caused a digestive disturbance, it would have happened by now...

I would now just keep an eye on her but I doubt that there is any bad side effects after ingestion of this product.....once this dries , it is not toxic.

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!