Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my dog was wormed tue last. He has appetite and is happy and

my dog was wormed tue last. He has appetite and is happy and drinking ok. He has had diarrhea for about 4-5 days. Any advice plz
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Siimon, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Rocco has diarrhea but glad that he otherwise is acting normally.
I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. Why did you worm him?
2. What did you worm him with?
3. Have you modified his diet?
4. Has he has this issue in the past?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wormed him as normal, not for any specific reason. It was pets at home own brand. Not modified diet other than since his problem so gave him chappie yesterday which is cereal wet food. Not had issue before other than when he had a booster 12mths ago and had bad diarrhea

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Simon:
Thanks so much for the additional information.

As you probably already know, there could be any number of reasons why a dog this age might develop diarrhea ranging from viral/bacterial infections to dietary indiscretion to garbage gut to internal parasites to Inflammatory Bowel Disease...and this is just a partial list.
Most over the counter wormers are fairly effective at killing roundworms and possibly hook worms but they often don't target whip worms or giardia.
So, even though you wormed him, internal parasites may still be the problem, if that makes sense. I often want to rule out this particular problem when a dog has a normal stool followed by a looser one. This pattern is also frequently seen with Inflammatory Bowel Disease which is often associated with the diet (usually one which has been fed for a while).

But his pattern could be consistent with other conditions as well.

However, having said that, most dogs with loose stool issues will respond to symptomatic treatment although some of them will require stronger antidiarrheal drugs or additional worming from the vet. The following would be my suggestions which may get him back on track in a short period of time:

1. Feed a bland diet of 1 part boiled chicken (or hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute white rice. Feed only a small amount of one time, 3-4 times through the day. I would not feed any regular dog food or cereal.

2. If he is not currently taking any aspirin or nsaid products and is not vomiting, then you can give him Regular Strength Pepto Bismol if available to you.

The dose would be 1/2 ml/lb 2 times a day. For example, if he weighs 50 lbs, then you would give him 1.5 tbs at each dose (15 mls=1 tbs). It may change the stool color to a gray-black or greenish color though so this shouldn't concern you if it happens.

Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.

3.Consider probiotics such as Forti-flora.These may be available at local pet/grain stores.

If his stools remain loose after 2-3 more days, then he might need to be seen. I'd take a stool sample with you so it can be evaluated for parasites that I mentioned.

I hope this helps and that his stools firm up quickly. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Simon:
Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I hope you'll keep me posted about Rocco; I'd like to know how he does.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Deb.

Not sure how this site works but it asked me to tip you at the end. Did you get the money I paid or just answer? I do hope u received it and not just answer. I would greatly appreciate your answer to know wheter to use the service in the future.

Simon

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Simon:
I received the rating but I don't see any bonus or tip which was selected.
Sometimes the site has issues which I fail to completely understand so it may not have been processed yet.

I can continue to monitor to see if it comes through, though, and let you know.

The site is very good about making sure that the experts receive what you want us to receive:) Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Simon:
I’m just following up on our conversation about Rocco. How are his stools? Deb