Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My little Yorkie cross is approx 6 1/2 years old. Ive been

My little Yorkie cross is approx 6 1/2 years old. I've been cleaning his teeth every morning for the past year or so because he had quite a bad build-up of plaque/tartar (I'm never quite sure which!) on most of his teeth and my local vet told me that this is a common problem for this type of dog. At the time, the little fellow just wouldn't eat the denta-stick chews recommended for his teeth. Recently, however, he has started to enjoy them (a friend gave him some for Christmas!) and usually has one (for small dogs) a day. His teeth are now hugely improved with most of the plaque/tartar removed all together (not quite all, but a huge improvement) but the little fellow hates me cleaning his teeth. I wondered if, now that they are so much better, I could safely just rely on the chews to keep them clean (all my friends think I'm mad cleaning his teeth - they all say I should leave it to the chews). Please forgive me if this is a stupid query, but little Eric means the world to me and I really do want to keep his teeth clean and healthy for life. Your advice would be very much appreciated.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. Eric is very, very lucky to have such a conscientious owner.

While I would love to tell you that the chew sticks alone will keep his teeth clean enough and that you don't need to brush, that wouldn't be the truth. The chewing sticks help, and dogs love them, but they aren't enough and if you used them alone they would miss some sections of his teeth.
You can tell how much good you have done for him in the past year with brushing because he will now chew on Denta Stix, when he wouldn't before.
You aren't mad, you are a wonderful owner. Most dogs aren't thrilled with getting their teeth brushed, my own pup included. But brushing is the best way to save his teeth and keep his mouth healthy.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your very prompt response. Little Eric is worth anything I have to do to keep him healthy and happy and I really appreciate your advice. I'll keep brushing - he doesn't understand but at least he won't have a gummy future!

Thank you again, I am very grateful!

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. My best to Eric, he doesn't know how lucky he is but he will repay you with much sweeter breath if you keep up with brushing.