Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi there. My puppy will be six months on march 18th and he

Hi there. My puppy will be six months on march 18th and he is being neutered thus Thursday (6th). I just am unsure what to expect in terms of the next few days etc. Can he still go out (we don't let him off the lead yet anyway as still trying to build a rock solid recall)? Will he feel woozy? How long for? Will he view the day as a traumatic experience or do they usually take in their stride? I'm feeling pretty anxious so any info appreciated. ThAnk you, Julia
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Julia. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Julia, it is very likely that when you pick up Bandha he may be completely recovered ready to play. Sometimes, they are a little more lethargic from the anesthesia the night after the procedure. Otherwise, he will be completely normal. You're vet will most likely send him home with pain medication and antibiotics. During the first few days post surgery he can go out on a leash to urinate and defecate. He will have an ecollar (cone) on to prevent him from licking the incision. You will receive instruction for suture removal if needed from your vet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!