Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
24698571

My 6 1/2 cocker spaniel has developed anxity withdrawla and

My 6 1/2 cocker spaniel has developed anxity withdrawla and I am at the end of my tether nothing has changed I don't understand y now hope u can help us
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi, this is Doctor H and I would be happy to assist you. By anxiety withdrawals I assume you mean separation anxiety?

Customer: Yes
Doctor H :

Okay, I'm sorry to hear that. How long has this been going on

Customer: About a week to 10 days . It started one day put her as normal in her cage and went out as normal I had a few carrier bags on top of the cage and when I returned she had some how managed to pull them through and shred them the then next time chewed her bedding nocked the water over and scrabbled at the bars and made her feet bleed I just need what to do next please
Doctor H :

Okay, what have you tried so far?

Doctor H :

Well, apart from anything else it would be a good idea to have her blood checked to see if there's any abnormalities in a CBC, chemistry panel, and thyroid level.

Doctor H :

Then discuss a once a day medication that can help with separation anxiety with alprazolam (xanax) for departures and training sessions.

Doctor H :

Are you able to take her to work with you or able to avoid separating her from yourself any other time?

Doctor H :

Additional products include dog appeasing pheromone (available as a diffuser and collar), the thundershirt, and an OTC medication called anxitane.

Doctor H :

How does she like food?

Doctor H :

If she's highly food motivated, you can use treats and food puzzles to distract her from your departures.

Doctor H :

In the meantime, you want to do a few other things.

Doctor H :

She can pick up on the cues that you are leaving. These are called separation cues. I recommend getting ready to leave and then do not leave - sit down and watch TV or something similar. This will desensitize her to that.

Doctor H :

Additionally, no big homecomings. If she's super hyper when you arrive from being gone do not give her attention until she is calm.

Doctor H :

If she follows you or anyone else around the house distract her from doing so with a food puzzle.

Doctor H :

And then start with graduated departure training sessions. Place her in a different area before you leave and turn on the TV or radio. Then leave for 1-5 minutes. If she hasn't been destructive or vocalizing, give her positive reinforcement. Never use punishment.

Doctor H :

Gradually increase the time as her behavior allows

Doctor H :

I know that's a ton of information, but you seem like you want to know what to do.

Doctor H :

I'm sure you have follow up questions, ask away.

Doctor H :

If not, kindly rate my service so I receive credit for our discussion.

Customer: Well I don't tell her off I say nothing I feed her in the cage to let her know its a nice place. I tried walking her a bit further giving her a cong toy filled with nice things . Popping out for short periods so she knows I am coming back.then today I left her in the utility room and put a gate up (the water bowel was on news paper )I left the cadge door open she managed to pull the gate over I don't know how it was clipped on to the wall tear up ALL the paper water every where & wet paper a bits of wood off the gate
Doctor H :

Right. I understand. I think she could really benefit from some medication with the above outlined training regimen to make her less anxious when you are away.

Doctor H :

Do you have any more questions? If not then kindly rate my service.

Customer: Thank you we are going to the vets today just hope they can sort her out. What is a food puzzle ?
Customer: She LOVES food do anything for food
Customer: Have been to vets She has raised liver enzymes so they are going to do further test .the vet also suggested getting adatil defusser to see if that calms her down
Doctor H :

Right - adaptil is one of the many names of dog appeasing pheromone. A dog puzzle is any kind of toy that makes her work for getting the food inside it (aka Kong, Twist N Treat, Magic Mushroom).

Doctor H :

I'm glad this has helped! Kindly rate my service so I may receive credit for our discussion.

Doctor H :

Best of luck!

Customer: Thanks
Doctor H :

You're welcome!

Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience: 5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting