Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dogs puppys are 7 weeks old and one of her breasts is extremely

Customer Question

My dogs puppy's are 7 weeks old and one of her breasts is extremely large and she is still discharging is this normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Tilly. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

I am concerned she could have "mastitis", or infection, in that gland. How is she acting? Is she eating and drinking and active?

Could you take her temperature? Normal is between 101 and 102. If she is 103 or higher, this probably is an infection.

Does that gland feel warmer than the others?

This could be normal. Sometimes when you take the puppies away the glands will swell full of milk, but usually it is not just one gland.

I would be worried that she has an infection, and may need antibiotics. If the puppies are trying to nurse at all, they could be exposed to the infection, so I would keep them away from her.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca