ERvetguy
ERvetguy, ER Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years veterinary experience, 4 years practicing
9166963

Hi my 9 month old puppy has been sick twice today once yesterday

Customer Question

Hi my 9 month old puppy has been sick twice today once yesterday what can be wrong with her? She has been wanting to eat but only been keeping it down for few hours
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.

ERvetguy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed emergency veterinarian and will do my best to assist you today!

ERvetguy :

Is she having diarrhea?

ERvetguy :

What is in the vomits?

ERvetguy :

vomitus

ERvetguy :

What is her diet?

ERvetguy :

Is she up to date with her vaccines?

Customer: She is up to date with her vaccinations she had 2 slices of bread with a slice of ham for breakfast and at tea time she has complete dog biscuits with 1/4 tin of dog food but tonight she is getting slice of white haddock with brown rice and a scrambled egg she has not got diarrhea the sickness just has what she has eaten in it
ERvetguy :

Don't go, we just got started

Customer: Sorry I pressed button my mistake
ERvetguy :

Its okay

ERvetguy :

So she is still eating fine but she vomits after eating?

ERvetguy :

How long after eating?

ERvetguy :

Is it undigested food?

Customer: It was 3 hours yesterday after she had her tea and today it was about 3 and a half hours she was out for her run this morning as normal but she is much quieter just now the food doesn't look very digested
ERvetguy :

Okay, I recommend to not have any activity for now

ERvetguy :

Only walks on leash to go to the bathroom

ERvetguy :

Then back inside

ERvetguy :

I would try as bland diet

ERvetguy :

Consisting of boiled chicken and rice

ERvetguy :

How much does she weigh?

Customer: Thank you do you think she could be coming into season? She weighs 35lbs
ERvetguy :

She is intact? When was her last heat cycle?

Customer: she hasn't been on heat at all yet
ERvetguy :

She can have 1 x 10 mg tablet of Pepcid (famotidine) every 12 hours

ERvetguy :

Any vaginal discharge?

ERvetguy :

Do you have a thermometer then you can use on her rectally?

Customer: she has never had any discharge I don't have a thermometer what exactly is Pepcid?
ERvetguy :

Pepcid is an antacid medication, what over the counter antacids do you have there?

ERvetguy :

It is not uncommon for dogs to not have a heat cycle until 24 months of age, it could not be related, why I ask about the thermometer is to make sure that she does not have a temperature

Customer: im not sure what I can get is it like milk of magnesia or pepto bismal for humans? Would that be safe to give to animals?
ERvetguy :

Let me check what you have there in the uk

ERvetguy :

You should have Pepcid ac there

ERvetguy :

Does this not sound familiar?

Customer: yes thank you very much
ERvetguy :

Okay I would try the Pepcid then every 12 hours for the next 3 days

ERvetguy :

10 mg every 12 hours

ERvetguy :

What time is it right now?

ERvetguy, ER Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years veterinary experience, 4 years practicing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am just wondering if it is only human pepcid that I can get is it safe to give it to Jude? I don't think I will be able to get any animal stuff
Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.
I would not feed her for 6 hours then offer her small amounts of the bland diet

If she still is having vomiting episodes in the next 24 hours, then she should see your local veterinarian

I will check on her in the next 24 hours to see how she is doing

Yes human Pepcid, make sure only is 10 mg and it only has the product famotidine in it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am I allowed to ask a question about my cat or will that be a separate fee?
Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.
Sure what about your cat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you my cat has a very sore tail at the tip noticed it a couple of days ago it is just kind of hanging and he wouldn't let me touch it
Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.
Can you clean it with butadiene or saline? If he is chewing on it then you probe should see your local veterinarian to start antibiotics and have the tail treated
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I've been to chemist to try and get Pepcid tablets or tabs with famotidine but a lot of the products have been withdrawn I'm not sure what to get my puppy now can you lease help? I don't want to have to get a veterinary appointment as very expensive
Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.
I would not worry about the medication then, just do not feed in the next 6 hours and then offer then small amount of bland diet, continue feeding for a couple days then switch to regular diet. If vomiting continues then you need to a local veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is 14.51
Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.
What is 14.51?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You asked what time it is just now it is 14.55 in afternoon
Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, follow the previous directions, don't worry about any medications
Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.
How is Jude doing?
Still vomiting after eating?

Keep me posted!!

Dr. Ryan