Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My son who lives in Ethiopia has just taken in a puppy from

My son who lives in Ethiopia has just taken in a puppy from the street. He does not know exactly how old he is and does nor know what to feed him on.So far he has been giving him milk. Also he has fleas and is chewing everything in sight.
As there is no branded puppy food available , or chewing toys to purchase , could you possibly send me some advice that I could pass on.
Many thanks,
Patricia Banes
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question about Scamp and your son. At 8 weeks of age and chewing everything in sight, he's old enough to be eating solid foods. The nutritional value of the cow's milk is extremely low for a growing young puppy. In a situation like this, if there is formulated adult dog foods available, then I would absolutely feed him those. They are going to be providing him with a very complete diet full of nutrients, vitamins and calories as compared to what he's getting now. If there are absolutely no available formulated diets, then preparing one at home can be done. A lot of owners will do this and it is called the BARF diet. I like the formulated diets better personally, but in this situation if they aren't available, then the next thing must be done. Here are a few links that go over how to make this diet at home.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Raw-Food-Diet-for-Dogs
http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/homemade-dog-food-recipes.html

There are many, many other sites that list out other raw food diets that can be made. Again at this time with this little guy, getting him onto something other than just milk is important to help get him the nutrients and calories he needs to grow.

As far as chewing toys to use, in his situation a tennis ball, a racquetball, a baseball, a thick piece of rope with knots on the end, and a frisbee an provide hours and hours of entertainment with minimal expense.