Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

we have a springer spaniel she was sick earlier this morning

Customer Question

we have a springer spaniel she was sick earlier this morning she has been for wee and a poo which looked normal but she has laid all day and has not eaten or drank anything very lethargic to her normal self
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that your girl isn't feeling well and is lethargic, vomited, and refusing to eat and drink.

Dogs lose their appetite and vomit because the stomach is irritated. In younger dogs viral infections (and there are too many to vaccinate against all of them), ingesting things they should not, or dietary changes are the most common reasons for vomiting. Other possible reasons are a gastrointestinal blockage, inflammatory bowel disease, food allergies/intolerances, pancreatitis, gastrointestinal reflux disease, metabolic diseases such as kidney or liver disease, or infiltrative cancers.

Even if she's not normally a chewer I would check around your house to make sure she hasn't chewed up and ingested a toy or bones. If you find evidence of a missing toy or that she ate something that could cause a blockage I would recommend a veterinary examination as soon as possible given her lethargy.

For now pick up her food and water. That will help settle her stomach.

I would also recommend giving an acid reducer to try and settle her stomach now. You can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours. These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These medications are quite safe and you can use these for several days if need be.

Ice cubes or very small amounts of water can be offered a few hours after starting acid reducers.

In 24 hours start a bland diet. A homemade bland diet to try is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats drained off, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Feed small meals frequently with warm water or low salt beef or chicken broth added to get more fluids in. If she eats this well feed it for several days and then slowly start mixing in her regular diet, more regular less bland at each meal. It should take about a week to slowly convert her back to his regular diet.

If her belly gets tense and painful, she runs a fever (rectal temperature greater then 39.4C), continues vomiting even with the food fast and acid reducers or refuses to eat the bland diet or vomits the bland diet then she must be checked by a veterinarian as this is unlikely to be just simple stomach upset.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.