Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog has cushings disease and is taking vetoryl tabs one

Customer Question

my dog has cushings disease and is taking vetoryl tabs one a day he is 14years old Yorkshire terrier he is losing a lot of weight and his breath smells. Do you think he is coming to the end he has had this disease for nearly a year. He is under the vet he keeps taking blood every 3 months . He is not due to see the vet for another 4 weeks should we take him before this his legs seem to be getting week. I find it hard to ask my vet these questions because I don't want to hear the answer. But I don't want my dog to suffer. Thankyou. I am worried about the weight he does eat quite well.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I understand your reticence. I guess I'll have to be the bearer of bad tidings. When such a 14 year old loses a significant amount of weight and has halitosis yet eats quite well, I have to be concerned that he's now diabetic as well as Cushingoid. The breath of these dogs can smell like acetone (some brands of nail polish remover) if the diabetes has progressed to a diabetic ketoacidosis - a severe form of diabetes which needs prompt attention.

A 14 years of age there are usually concomitant disorders to consider. In particular, Sam's kidneys need to be checked carefully because a chronic renal insufficiency is likely when weight loss and halitosis is present. Dogs with kidney failure, however, rarely continue to eat well so either his kidneys aren't failing or his Cushing's is keeping him eating in spite of kidney failure arising.

In any event, I want Sam to be seen prior to his usual visit planned for 4 weeks from now. When a cushingoid dog loses weight we're going to find that more than Cushing's is present. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for your advice I will take sam to the vets tomorrow.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.