Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

i have a 3 year old staffy /XXXXX XXXXX cross , he had diarrhoea

i have a 3 year old staffy /XXXXX XXXXX cross , he had diarrhoea this morning ,he hasne eaten or drank anything all day and is finding it hard to get comfortable as i think his stomach is hurting ,also his stomach has been making loud growling noises ,which is unusual for him .how can i help him ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Louie isn't feeling well with diarrhea, a growling stomach and lack of an appetite.

These growling noises are the result of ingesta moving through the gastrointestinal tract and gas bubbles. In most cases they are completely normal and seem to cause the dog no distress. But in cases where the dog acts uncomfortable it is likely that the pup is experiencing some reflux or abnormal motility, or painful intestinal spasms that are more then the usual. In severe cases this can be linked to pancreatitis which is a painful inflammation of the pancreas leading to increased enzyme leakage.

It is possible that he ate something that didn't agree with him, that is a common cause of these symptoms.
Diarrhea and an upset stomach can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, bacterial or viral infections, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or a gastrointestinal blockage. Rarely a mass in the intestinal tract can be the cause.

Do you know if he got into anything that may have started all of this? He should be checked by his regular veterinarian if he's not bouncing back quickly with the suggestions I will give you. Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too for parasite eggs/cysts that are shed intermittently. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.

Because his appetite is off and his stomach is gurgling he probably has some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with his loose stools.
To try and settle his stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.

I would not feed him any food for 24 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with diarrhea. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his intestinal irritation worse.

Today even with the fast an hour or so after the acid reducer you can start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until his stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea without stools firming at all after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After his food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in his stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.

You can also give a probiotic like Fortiflora or Benebac to replace good bacteria in his gut that are often lost with diarrhea. Both are available through your veterinarian, online or at pet stores.

Once he feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

If Louie is vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that he see his regular veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.