Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog has diarrhea and shaking, he is drinking water but is

my dog has diarrhea and shaking, he is drinking water but is very lethargic
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Any vomting?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
5- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3 days, started vomiting bile on third day, pink gums, cant take a temp

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3 days, dont know if he has eaten something out of the ordinary, im just aware of his regular food., started vomiting last night, gums are pink, not able to take temp...

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Mark, vomiting and diarrhea are symptoms of either problems within the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. Common causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.The fact that he has been ill for 3 days without any improvement I would highly recommend a hands on examination with a veterinarian and some testing (xrays and blood work) to determine the exact underlying cause and start him on supportive care (IV fluids). In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 2-3 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 2-3 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter