Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my 10month old boxer puppy approx 20kgs has maybe eaten some

Customer Question

my 10month old boxer puppy approx 20kgs has maybe eaten some of my hormone replacement tablets i'm not sure. Kilovance 1mg. I don't know what to do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bella.

Rebecca :

Thank you for requesting me.

Rebecca :

How many pills, worst case scenario, could she have eaten?

Rebecca :

How long ago did she eat them>

Rebecca :

Usually with estrogen, the main complications are from repeated, long term exposure. A single dose should not cause serious problems.

Rebecca :

But if she ate the pills in the last hour or less, you could try to get her to vomit by giving her some hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream. She would take 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of peroxide, and that should get her to vomit in 5 to 10 minutes.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. Sometimes this live chat has problems, and we have trouble seeing what the other is saying/

Rebecca :

I will try to connect with you another way if I do not hear from you soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Alisa,
I hope you can see what I am writing now.

If you let me know how many she ate, I can look that up to see if it is enough to worry about

Rebecca

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't think the live chat is working

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Not now, no. I switched when the website told me you went offline. We have to communicate this way now.

How long ago did she get the pills? How many did she get?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She had them about 30 mins ago when we found her chewing the packet and possibly ate about 4 or 5, wasn't sure how many were in the packet.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
If you want to try to get her to vomit, then try the peroxide. If she vomits the pills, then we have nothing to worry about.

If she got 1 mg per kilogram, we would be worried about bone marrow suppression. Since she is 20kg, she only got .25 mg per kilogram, maximum.

So, this should not be too high a dose to worry about. If you chose not to make her vomit, or if you get her to vomit but the pills are not in the vomit, I might check a blood count on her in 24 to 28 hours.

And it sounds like it is possible that she got even less than that, that 5 pills is the worst case scenario, so she will probably be OK.

Let me know what else I can research or answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I can help with?

Did you try to get her to vomit?

Rebecca