Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

blood coming from

blood coming from penis
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he dripping blood from the penis or bloody urine?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he started this morning and it's not in the urine.no other symptoms he's not in any pain and he's playing with my other dog

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sandra, there are several possible causes that would lead to a bloody discharge from the penis in Trevor. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Bladder stones, urethritis (inflammation of the urethra), prostate/kidney disease or an infection. To determine the exact cause your family veterinarian will need to do xrays and urinalysis as initial screening test. As long as he is playing and behaving normal it is not an emergency but he should be seen by family veterinarian. If he stops urinating or is unable to urinate then that would be an emergency; it implies that he may have a stone blocking the outflow of urine. But, as long as he is urinating and behaving normal he will be ok. Make certain he has plenty of water. Follow up with family veterinarian, treatment will be based on exam and test results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter