Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my cavalier 3 year old newly acquired is on maxitrol eye drops

Customer Question

my cavalier 3 year old newly acquired is on maxitrol eye drops from vets
the eye being treated is muddy looking where the other eye is pure white
should I be concerned
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

When you say "mudding looking" do you mean inside of the eye (the iris or colored part around the black pupil) or the whites of his eyes (sclear) look muddy? Or do you mean that there is a cloudy appearance to the eye being treated?

Dr. Joey :

And why is he on this drop to start with? What was his diagnosis?

(thank you for answering my questions; this helps me to understand what is going on)

Dr. Joey :

I do recommend he have his eye checked if there is now discoloration to his scleara (the white part) or if the eye, itself, looks abnormal (cloudy, discoloration). Hopefully, when he was in before his vet checked for 1)corneal stain for ulcers/scratches, 2)tear production test, and 3)Tonometry to measure intraocular pressures. If he did not have all these tests, then these need to be done.

Dr. Joey :

(I meant "her"...sorry)

Customer:

it is the whites of the eyes I am concerned about because the white of the left eye is pure white when the white of the right eye is grey and muddy looking

Dr. Joey :

Yes, that is not normal. I am not sure if she is having an aytpical reaction to the medication or there is a larger issue going on. But this is an indication to stop the medication and phone your vet, and potentially have her eye recheck today or tomorrow.

Customer:

she is on drops because the right eye was inflamed below lower eye lid the muddy colour was present at the time of the examination I am referring to the whites of the eyes

Dr. Joey :

The sclera (white part around the eye) is a darker color on one than the other? Did we confirm there is no intraocular (inside the eye) problem with the tests I mentioned above? Was sje ever painful or having discharge? Was there a reason other than color change for starting the medication. Some dogs have a normal coloration of the sclera that does not warrant therapy (are we sure this is not the case with her; this is a spotted breed and therefore the eyes can have pigmentation in the sclera as well). If she was having discharge or pain and all the tests I mentioned were normal, then treating with dexamethasone for 5-7 days and then rechecking is perfectly acceptable.

Dr. Joey :

I do want to add if she has a solitary pigmented lesion (brown spot) on the conjunctiva or sclera around the eyes, this can be an epibulbar melanoma. This needs to be seen by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Joey :

For these solitary lesions, your vet can try to determine if this is a mass or not. If the lesion is not a tumor, then it is most likely in conjunctiva and/or episcleral tissue and may just be an innocuous area of benign pigmentation.

Dr. Joey :

You appear to have stepped out of our chat. Let me now if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
The system is telling me that you submitted a reply. Yet, I cannot see it. I am sorry for the inconvenience, but could you please submit this again.

My goal is to answer your questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry I was a bit concerned about my little cavalier mainly because my late cavalier suffered dry eye which was horrendous so I was being a bit paranoid

you gave the answer that was the right answer See my vet

thank you for that

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the update. I hope that all is well. Please keep me posted and let me know if you have future questions.

Cheers,
Dr. Joey