Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

MY DOG IS CONSTANTLY SEEKING WATER NO MATTER HOW MUCH SHE HAS

MY DOG IS CONSTANTLY SEEKING WATER NO MATTER HOW MUCH SHE HAS IN HER BOWL SHE DRINKSA THE LOT & THEN DEMANDS TO GO OUTSIDE THEN SHE SEARCHES FOR MORE WATER WETHER IT BE FROM A PUDDLE ON THE DRIVE OUT OF THE DRAIIN COVER
OUT THE GARDEN WATER BOWSER
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me has Tia been spayed ? and is she showing any other symptoms of any sort?

Customer:

no see not been spayed

Customer:

and no other symptoms

Scott Nimmo :

Drinking excessively such as you describe would always be a cause for concern in the dog, the chances are some disease process is causing these symptoms.

Scott Nimmo :

What I will do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know. This is the personal list I use when presented with a dog like yours, the chances are that the disease your dog is suffering from is here somewhere

Scott Nimmo :

1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
5. Cushings syndrome

Scott Nimmo :

I know this may not be what you want to hear but since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. There is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation. A quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter. Sorry I cannot suggest any simple home remedies via the internet.

Customer:

ok thanks for your kind help

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, very glad to have advised you and good luck with your dog ...