Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Can I give my dog diff lam spray (benzydamine hydrochloride)

Can I give my dog diff lam spray (benzydamine hydrochloride) to help his kennel cough . He is on antibiotics but is coughing bad and getting quite distressed . It says you can give this spray to children under 6 so was wondering if it would help my dog
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, benzydamine hcl is not a medication used in dogs, I would advise not to give it to your dog. You see, the fact that is safe in children does not mean it will be safe in dogs. Different species can metabolize the drug differently. We don't know without doing a clinical study. If Nobby is not responding favorably to the antibiotics I would recommend you speak to your vet about changing antibiotics and adding another cough medicine like Butorphanol. In addition, consider doing xrays of the chest if they have not done so already.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!