Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 2 yr old border collie has eaten a 3/4 full tube (15g) of

My 2 yr old border collie has eaten a 3/4 full tube (15g) of betnovate... She shows currently no signs of anything untoward... Do I need to worry?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she only eat the ointment or did she also ingest the container?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its a metal tube which she has extensively chewed to get out the contents...I'm happy she's just licked the ointment out of it.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Ian, a single exposure or ingestion of betnovate (betamethasone) is not going to be systemically toxic. She may however develop mild gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea otherwise she will be fine. If she does develop vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's great thanks.. Just know that collies in particular are prone to suffer from ingesting certain chemicals and are quite susceptible. Will now relax and wait for the effects! Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome.