Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my staffbitch has a hard lump on her abdimn around her

Customer Question

my staffbitch has a hard lump on her abdimn around her teets between her back legs she is 12 years old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Pippa has a hard lump on her abdomen along her mammary chain.

Is she spayed? And if yes was she spayed before her first heat?
If she is not spayed did she have a recent heat cycle?
Is the lump hot and painful or not painful?
Is the lump growing quickly or slowly?

Possible causes of a lump in this location are a mammary tumor, mastitis (mammary gland infection) if she has had a recent heat cycle, or a lymph node that is enlarged.

If she is not spayed and had a recent heat cycle and the lump is hot and painful then mastitis or a mammary gland infection is possible.

If she is spayed then a mammary tumor or an enlarged lymph node is more likely.
Enlarged lymph nodes can be secondary to infection or a lymphatic system cancer called lymphoma.
In dogs mammary cancer incidence is much higher in unspayed dogs. Dogs spayed before their first heat very rarely get mammary tumors. 50% of mammary tumors are benign and removal is curative in dogs. But 50% are malignant and those invade into deep tissues and spread to local lymph nodes, and distant sites including the lungs and liver. Ideally she would be examined soon and the tumor be removed before the tumor has a chance to spread.
My recommendation would be to have Pippa see her veterinarian to have this lump checked as soon as possible.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.