Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

can I give my highland westie 10.2kg in weight piriton as he

can I give my highland westie 10.2kg in weight piriton as he is scratching his sides and licking his paws. If yes what doseage.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Ben's condition. Judging from your description of his symptoms, it definitely sounds like he's suffering from an allergy of some kind. Piriton is not only fine to use in dogs, it is the only antihistamine approved for use in them.
The dose is somewhat approximate, based on size: Large dogs - up to (4) 8mg tablets twice daily as needed. Small dogs - (2) 4 mg or (1) 8 mg tablets twice daily as needed for symptomatic relief.
Piriton (chlorampheniramine) is very safe, having very few, very mild side effects, so you can adjust the dose to the level that helps Ben get more comfortable. Antihistamines work very well in some dogs, but others will require more potent medications like steroids to give them relief.
Hopefully, Ben will be one of the lucky ones, but if you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr.Bob