Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My twelve week old puppy has been very sick twice this morning

Customer Question

My twelve week old puppy has been very sick twice this morning and has very loose stools. Is this an emergency? My 5 year old dog also has loose stools.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Fudge. There are many reasons for a puppy to be sick and have diarrhea. Some are emergencies and some are not.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Is he still eating at all? Has he been vaccinated?

The most serious possibility is parvo virus, a virus that attacks and pretty much shreds the lining of the intestines. These puppies are ill, painful, vomiting a lot, and often have bloody diarrhea. It usually is an emergency because they can get dangerously dehydrated, and usually need pain medication, antibiotics for secondary bacterial infections, supplements for low blood sugar, etc.

If you look at his gums, they should be a bright pink color. If he looks pale at all, he may need medical attention.

Gently tent some skin over his shoulders, and let it go. It should go back into position in one second, or less. If it takes longer, he is dehydrated.

If he is still eating, and if the diarrhea does not have blood in it, that is a good sign. Try keeping him hydrated with water, broth, or electrolyte solutions for children, if he can keep those down without vomiting.

If his gums are pink, and he will take fluids and keep them down, that is a good sign. If he can't take or keep any liquids down, then he should be checked out by a veterinarian.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Margaret,
How is Fudge today?

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating. I hope Fudge is doing well.

Rebecca