Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Hi I have a 12 year old shih- tzu will diagnosed pituitary

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old shih- tzu will diagnosed pituitary cushings disease. Do you have any knowledge of using retenoic acid derivatives to treat this. Successes or failures and which isomer of retenoic acid was used thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I'm not sure what medication Simba has been on so far - Accutane is not used in veterinary medicine to treat Cushings disease.

Dr. Susan :

Perhaps you mean trilostane?

Dr. Susan :

If so, 2 mg/kg is a low dose. We can slowly increase the dose as needed to get control of his signs and improve his cortisol measurements on the ACTH Stim test.

Dr. Susan :

Another option is a drug called Lysodren.

Dr. Susan :

As far as retinoic acid goes, this has been used with some success for Cushing's disease as well.

Dr. Susan :

The dose for this medication is 2 mg/kg/day as well.

Dr. Susan :

We use the 9-cis isomer of retinoic acid to treat. I have not looked into this option recently, but in the past (several years ago) it was very expensive. It was probably several hundred dollars per week.

Dr. Susan :

Most of my clients choose the Lysodren or trilostane route.

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.