Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

HelloI have noticed a small softish lump on the outer end

Hello I have noticed a small softish lump on the outer end of my dog's top eyelid which is next to, I think vets call them little skin tag. I've gently squeezed it and watery blood comes out of it? I'm been bathing it with some salt water. She is an 8 year old staffie cross.  Not sure if she has just caught her eye on something but I'm very worried, please help. Thank you, Natalie.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for her.
No more squeezing. With every sqeeze, it causes inflammation, which we know is present, due to the blood that is coming out of it. In addition, if it is any type of tumor/mass like a mast cell tumor, squeezing it will aggravate it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like an impacted gland, like a pimple. Blood should not be coming out at all. So, I am worried it is either inflamed or already infected.

Definitely, this is worth a vet visit. If possible, the vet may suggest some fine needle aspirate samples to help identify what it could be.

Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

Of course, being on the eyelid, could make sampling a little more difficult. Other times, if small, a vet may simply suggest removing it and then just send the entire lump to the lab for analysis. Considering a irregular bloody fluid is coming out of it, that may not be such a bad idea.

In the meantime, I would leave it alone. No topicals washes or squeezing.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy