Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My afghan hound had a season in December and i thought

My afghan hound bitch had a season in December and i thought she had finished it. However she was producing milk last month and the vet had said that this would pass. I have noticed her nipples nearest her tail were still enlarged but not hard and leaked blood when I groomed her today. How concerned should I be and can I wait till Monday to take her to my vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I do think that you need to be worried enough to plan to take her to the vet on Monday but not panicked that this could quickly lead to death or likely serious disease. What has happened is she's likely picked up a mild case of mastitis. The milk in the teats during her recent pseudo pregnancy is a great place for bacteria to grow. The blood indicates that her teats or mammary tissue is irritated and likely infected. As long as she's not painful, not off of her appetite or her energy level then we just need to keep an eye on her. You can help draining of the teats by placing warm packs on the affected glands 2x daily for about 10 min. Then the trip on Monday will likely result in a quick exam of some of the bloody fluid under the microscope and antibiotics. This will then take care of the problem in most cases.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for this but can I ask how draining is achieved by a warm pack? She's not off her food, neither has a low energy levels.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
The warm pack dilates blood vessels and softens the thickened debris that can occur with the combination of milk and infection. The increased fluid flow to the area then builds pressure (microscopically) and facilitates flow out of the teat. The flow out of the teat decreases the bacterial burden making other treatments more efficient. It doesn't happen immediately or dramatically but it does help. Sort of like soaking an infection in epsom salts to "draw it out."

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will the flow from the teat happen naturally or will I have to gently squeeze it to express the fluid?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Both should occur but squeezing or milking it will help it the most. Usually you want to just warm pack it for a day then start milking and squeezing after packing on the second day, the "flow" will be unimpressive at first and slowly increase until antibiotics start and then it will stop altogether as the problem heals.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What should I use to warm pack it?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Most people run hot water and soak a wash cloth in it and then hold that over the affected mammary gland unless you have a heating pad or other warming device used for humans. You can use that too.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great thanks for the advice and your time-excellent service!
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome good luck to you both!