Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hi there I have an 8 year old staffy whos left ear is red

Hi there I have an 8 year old staffy who's left ear is red and inflamed and producing black gunk and is sore to touch! I have a 6 month old springer who is being prescribed meloxidyl, could I give my staffy this to ease the pain untill I can get him to a vet on Monday??
Thankyou Becky x
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Deebo.
Well, this could be problematic. Normally, a vet does not prescribe meloxicam without knowing about the liver and kidney values on a basic blood test, because the NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are well known to sometimes cause issues with organ function.

So, by law, and even though you are not in the U.S. I can't legally say if it would be safe to do so.

However, I can provide a link with more information including dosing directions, but I can't authorize its use or guarantees it's safety, as I am sure you understand.

Metacam

Otherwise,
The only over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I recommend in dogs (NOT CATS) is aspirin. Due to potential toxicity issues if not dosed correctly, many veterinarians do not consider Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aleve safe.
You can give 10mg per pound of body weight up to every 12 hours. Just remember, there are different pill sizes for aspirin, so look to see if it is regular strength or maximum strength.
Aspirin can be upsetting to the stomach, so discontinue if any digestive upset and definitely consult a vet if not helpful. Sometimes giving some Pepcid A.C. antacid 1 hour beforehand can be helpful.
Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.

***Do not give aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication if your pet is already on prednisone or any other anti-inflammatory medication***
Severe stomach and intestinal ulcers can result from giving a pet aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofen when they are also on medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Prednisone, Metecam, Zubrin, and Previcox***

Also, do not try to flush or clean out the ear with anything, even if you read about suggestions on the internet. It is simply going to aggravate him further.

What you are describing sounds consistent with otitis externa (an ear infection).
This is usually caused by a bacterial and/or yeast infection. Ear mites tend to be more common in puppies/kittens or pets that remain outdoors.

Otitis Externa in Dogs

Ideally, the following would be done at your veterinarian,
Examination of the ear canal.
URL=http://www.mypetsdoctor.com/ear-cytology-for-dogs-and-cats]Ear Cytology[/URL]If the ear canal is dirty and not excessively painful, a deep ear flushing
A prescription for a ear medication and ear flush is sent home
If there is substantial inflammation/swelling, a steroid injection or oral medication is prescribed
If there is substantial bacteria identified on the cytology, an oral antibiotic should be prescribed

Great Summary about Ear Infections

How to Flush Ears

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy