Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

is there a yearly booster for a dog without giving it to him

Customer Question

is there a yearly booster for a dog without giving it to him by injection, as he gets very stressed by going to the vets
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that Taffy gets so upset going to the veterinarian. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

I am in the US, and the current recommendations are not to give annual vaccinations. The only vaccination that has to be given annually is for "kennel cough"", but it is only recommended if the dog is going to be boarded at a kennel, or goes to be groomed regularly.

The distemper/parvo vaccination is given every three years, and then stopped when the dog gets to be 7 or 8. The only vaccination that I normally give to an 11 year old dog is for rabies, and of course you do not have rabies in your country.

To answer your question, there are some vaccinations that can be given by mouth, or by nose, but only for kennel cough. The distemper parvo vaccine is still by injection.

I do recommend annual exams for older dogs, to try to catch problems early before they become serious. Bad teeth, heart abnormalities, increased thirst and urination, enlarged internal organs and lymph nodes can be early warning signs of old age illnesses. A regular examination is more important for a dog Taffy's age than an annual vaccination for his long term health. Have you tried a house call vet?

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please let me know if I can answer or help with anything else.

Rebecca