Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Good morning, When I got up this morning, my dog was not his

Good morning,
When I got up this morning, my dog was not his usual self. He sleeps downstairs, and when I come, he's usually all over me. It appears as though the top of his left hind leg is causing him problems. It doesn't appear broken as he can stand on it for a few moments at a time. He is visibly shivering and has no appetite. Can you advise me as what to do please? He is 18 months old miniature XXXXX XXXXX.
Thank you very much.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he bearing weight on the limb when walking?
2- Last night when he went to bed he was complete normal, correct?
3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
4- An pre existing medical conditions?
5- Is he on any medications?
6- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. yes

2. yes

3. no

4. no

5. no

6. on the 14/02 when he had his castration he was just over 5kg.

apologies for the delay, I had a little accident myself, and had to go to the a&e

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Magdi, it's ok. Hope you are fine.

In response to your question, common causes for the lameness that you are describing is either a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury and less likely a hip injury. The shivering and decrease appetite are most likely related to pain. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need to have an orthopedic examination by family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. If you can not have him seen by a veterinarian today start him on Aspirin 81mg every 12 hours with some food. Rest him, no running or jumping; activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter