Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

female lasah apso 7 years once in a while wrenches and brings

female lasah apso 7 years once in a while wrenches and brings up yellow coloured flem
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Brenda, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Asha. I do have a few questions to ask about her first, if you don't mind:

1. How often does she bring up the yellow bile?
2. Does it occur at the same time of day each time?
3. Is she otherwise healthy? She doesn't vomit her food, for example?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no set time on wrenching and other wise healthy and does not vomit food

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Brenda:
Thanks so much for the additional information.

It sounds like Asha may have a condition called called Bilious Vomiting Syndrome although I don't necessarily think this is the problem if a dog only occasionally vomits bile. It's usually associated with those who vomit bile on a more consistent basis.

The underlying cause is usually acid buildup in the stomach; acid can be irritating to the stomach lining which causes these dogs to vomit the yellow bile that you see...whether it's intermittently or on a regular basis.

This condition may be related to scheduling of mealtimes (they often vomit right before a meal), for others it may be a form of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (many of the dogs with this condition feel nauseous and don't want to eat) while Gastric Reflux may be an explanation for other dogs.

For those dogs who only intermittently vomit bile, I don't typically worry too much about them but the following suggestions may be useful in preventing future episodes.

1. A change in diet may be helpful especially for those dogs who might have Inflammatory Bowel Disease. I usually recommend a prescription hypoallergenic diet such as Purina HA or Royal Canin HP but you would have to purchase these from your vet. Another option would be to take the label of your current dog food to the pet store and find something entirely different but focus on the protein and carbohydrate sources. There are many options available at pet stores these days. Whether it's dry or canned doesn't really make a difference.

2. If the episodes happens during the day, then modifying the feeding schedule may be helpful…perhaps to three times a day.

3. Antacids can be particularly effective for this problem but are more effective for those dogs who more regularly vomit bile.
Pepcid AC at a dose of 1/4 mg/lb twice a day
Prilosec at a dose of 1/2 mg/lb once a day (it can be given twice, if necessary).
Zantac at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice a day.

It may be reassuring to know that the largest percentage of dogs that I've seen with this problem respond to symptomatic treatment without further diagnostics, I am glad to say.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Brenda:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, good luck with Asha. Regards, Deb

Kindlyh ignore the information request.