Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 12 year old Retriever started with diarrhoea on Friday night,

Customer Question

My 12 year old Retriever started with diarrhoea on Friday night, she is well, hungry has a wet nose, but still has very loose stool. We gave her ultra yeast 3 times yesterday, but it hasn't seemed to have had an effect, We have been feeding her rice and white fish for the last 2 days, only small amounts, she normally has Hills Prescription JD.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me : Has she any existing diseases of any sort, perhaps some arthritis judging from the Hills JD?

Scott Nimmo :

Hello again, before I can answer your question I have to know a little more about your dog which is why I asked about existing diseases. If for example your dog was already on some drug or other then this could well affect my answer regarding her present diarrhoea. If you care to talk things over a bit more I will be glad to try and help you. Regards, Scott

JACUSTOMER-392z7hih- : Hi Scott, This is the first time I have used this service, and didn't get any message other than this from you, don't know where it went?
JACUSTOMER-392z7hih- : My girl is not on anything other than Hills Prescription JD food, she is generally well, slower than she was 5 years ago ,of course, she has no known other problems, she did have piroplasmosis about 5 years ago, but fully recovered after prompt treatment. She is very sleepy at the moment, and hasn't had a bowel movement for the last 4 hours, so, maybe she is getting through whatever it was. should I continue with the rice and fish? or get her back on to her Hils?
Hello again and thanks for getting back to me.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that this sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check your dog over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these often work well in uncomplicated cases where a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug.

Here are some examples of suitable common sense home remedies.

1. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, perhaps a tablespoon or so twice a day.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should see your vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott