Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi I am looking for some advice. I mated my bulldog on

Customer Question

Hi I am looking for some advice. I mated my bitch bulldog on the 7th January. This was to be her second litter. I have her scanned at 35 days and was told possible 3/4 pups. I then had her re scanned a week later as she didn't seem to be putting on much weight. The sonographer said he could see sacs and that he thought the pups had been absorbed so no pups to be expected. My dog has still had all the signs of being pregnant but I the sonographer said she may still think she is pregnant but should warn us that she may be hiding a pup? I haven't thought anymore about it until today, this would be her 62nd day of pregnancy. We have been checking her temperature which dropped to 99.5 last night and remains the same this morning, my dog was shivering and reluctant to move out of her bed so I re took her temperature and its still 99.5. She hasn't started digging or panting but is not eating the same. Do you think she could still have pups? Thanks for your help. Amanda
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Havana worrying you. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

She could still be pregnant, yes. One of the sacs the sonographer saw could have still been a puppy.

At 62 days, an Xray would tell you for sure. That would be the best way for you to know what to expect.

Dogs go through the same cycle of hormones, whether they get pregnant or not, following the heat cycle, so they can have false pregnancies that mimic the real thing: making a nest, treating a toy or a sock like a puppy, etc. But if her temp dropped, this could be the real thing.

Please let me know what else I can answer. I would get an Xray, if she were mine, to know for sure.

Rebecca

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The sonographer had only been in business for 1yr, so not very much experience. He said he could not see a heartbeat in the sac but I would have thought at 42days the pup would have a spine etc? Can a temperature drop in false pregnancy? I will contact my vet. Is it correct that if she was to be having pups it would be 24hrs from temperature dropping. I have not been able to see pups or feel them move throughout the pregnancy, could this be because she has been carrying them under her ribs?

Thanks again for your help,

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Yes, at 42 days, a pup should be well developed, with a skeleton.

Usually the temp does not drop with a false pregnancy.

The uterus is not under the ribs, but when a dog gets pregnant, if the uterus is really full it can extend up that far. It is hard to feel a single puppy in a dog's abdomen. I would rely more on ultrasound or an Xray than my hands to find a single puppy.

Please let me know if I can answer anything else. I sure hope you get a puppy, and a healthy one.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Amanda,
How is Havana? Any puppies?

Rebecca