Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
24698571

l have a four month old puppy, it is a staffie cross but we

Customer Question

l have a four month old puppy, it is a staffie cross but we don't know what it is crossed with, he has a hard swollen ridge on each ear closest to the head, he looks as if he has whippet in him, is this ear ridge normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor H replied 2 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi, this is Doctor H and I would be happy to assist you.

Doctor H :

When did you notice the ridge in/by the ears? Are you able to upload a photo of each one to this chat?

Customer:

l have now been to a vets and my dog has a heamatoma ( hope that is the right spelling ) in each ear and is being treated. thanks for replying.

Doctor H :

Thanks - I was concerned about that but wanted to hear more from you first.

Customer:

Thanks for your reply.

Doctor H :

What is the plan for the hematomas, if you don't mind me asking.

Customer:

The vet has drawn the blood off each ear and wanted to see how quick they would fill up again, which is already happening, it might then be decided to put a stent in each ear.

Doctor H :

Did s/he diagnose a concomitant ear infection?

Customer:

No, she said his ears were clear and showed no infection.

Doctor H :

It's really odd for a four month old dog to develop bilateral ear hematomas so early in life.

Doctor H :

No recent head shaking or ear scratching preceding the hematoma formation?

Customer:

Yes, she said she had not seen this in both ears before, he wasen't shaking his head but he was scratching the left ear.

Doctor H :

Did she run any bloodwork to assess clotting function?

Customer:

No, nothing else has been done yet. Can you think of any questions l should ask when l take him back.

Doctor H :

Well, like I said, this is really odd in such a young dog.

Doctor H :

And of course I don't want to second-guess your vet :)

Doctor H :

Basically I typically see hematoma formation secondary to head shaking from an ear-infection.

Doctor H :

With the history of scratching of the left ear it may behoove both of you to run and ear swab just to be sure.

Doctor H :

Additionally the treatment for ear hematomas involves surgery - opening the ear, draining the blood, and leaving it open to drain.

Doctor H :

HOWEVER, I have heard some anecdotal reports that have used cold laser therapy, which has, in these cases, been successful.

Doctor H :

I don't recommend draining them, typically, as it is does not really do much and risks infection. However, the UK is different from the US :)

Doctor H :

And like I said, it would be a good idea to check bloodwork to rule out anything else that could cause a predisposition to bleeding.

Customer:

Thank you that is very useful, now when l go back l have a bit more knowledge and can ask these things without teading on the vets toes. Thank you very much.

Doctor H :

You're welcome - I wish you and Persie the best.

Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience: 5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting