Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

my dog has cancer in the foot,he is 11 yr old Rottweiler 45kg

Customer Question

my dog has cancer in the foot,he is 11 yr old Rottweiler 45kg and have now been told that it has travelled up the leg. Am looking to find some pain relief for him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

What medications is he taking right now? There are many different options for additive pain control that we can consider.

JACUSTOMER-btt7cp93- :

none at the moment, where the outside toe is inflamed, makes walking more painful

Dr. Susan :

Poor guy. Do you have anything on hand like Rimadyl or Metacam?

JACUSTOMER-btt7cp93- :

have no medication, am trying to find when and where i can get some

Dr. Susan :

Well, no one can give him a prescription medication without first doing a physical exam.

Dr. Susan :

Aside from that, I would consider using an OTC drug for starters.

Dr. Susan :

For a 45 kg Rottweiler, you can give a 500mg Tylenol every 12 hours.

Dr. Susan :

Do not give a higher dose than 500mg, and do not give it more often than twice daily.

Dr. Susan :

Tylenol is completely toxic to cats, but can be used very carefully in dogs.

Dr. Susan :

If you find that this is not sufficient to control his pain, I would see out the help of a local vet to prescribe additional medications like Tramadol and Gabapentin.

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.