Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

being sick not eating quiet lethargic not his normal sel

being sick not eating quiet lethargic not his normal self
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

I may need a bit more information to be able to help you out today. Are you looking for at-home recommendations to help Sky? As well, how long has he had these symptoms (a day, few days, weeks, months)? Has he already been seen by his vet, and if so what treatments is he on? Is he eating?

Dr. Joey :

(thank you for answering my questions; this helps me to better understand Sky's situation)

Dr. Joey :

If he has been lethargic for only 12 hours or so, then you can certainly monitor for a few more hours. Tempt him to eat and make sure his appetite is good. Lethargy is very nonspecific in that it does not indicate one particular problem. His issue could range from anything from running a fever to anemia to painful issue to electrolyte problem to developing other underlying issue (such as impending vomit/diarrhea), etc. If he gives us more symptoms, then we can start to isolate the issue to one particular system. If he continues to be very lethargic for another few hours, then I highly recommend you have his veterinarian perform an exam to ensure he is okay.

Dr. Joey :

What could you try at home? If his appetite is off you can try administering famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

been sick for about three days not eating not an any medication not seen vet as yet

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
This is a long time for not eating and does warrant an exam. Again, I cannot speculate exactly what problem is going on as the list of possibilities when our only symptoms is not eating is long.
In the meantime you can try:

1) Offer a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.
2)As mentioned above give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions that I have not addressed.
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine